Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Block #43 in the Machine Quilting Challenge


Good Morning,
We've had several days of yucky, wet weather here in Denver, rain and slush and even a bit of snow. The weather guys are predicting that Spring will really arrive next week with temperatures in the 70's. I can't wait! I love the spring, with all of the trees in bloom and the flowers beginning to blossom. All of the tulips in my front garden seem to have survived this storm and are lush and beautiful.
Spring is such a great time for renewal. I've been Spring cleaning, getting more organized and spending more time out in the back garden. Sometimes it's hard to make time for creativity. Sticking to a creative habit can often be as difficult as sticking to a new diet or budget (both things I am NOT good at). But the rewards can be so fulfilling! Have you ever thought of embracing a more creative lifestyle? What changes do you think you could make to add 30 minutes of creative time to your daily schedule?
Today's new stitch-out; Filigree, is a wonderful, delicate,whimsical background fill. It looks great all on it's own or stitched around design motifs (.....just wait till you see tomorrow's block!). It is a continuous design that requires lots of over stitching (stitching back over lines you have all ready stitched). But unlike some other over stitched designs, this one looks great if you stitch right next to the original line rather than right on top. This will make it easier for some stitchers and more difficult for others. You'll probably want to doodle it out before you take your first stitch.
Begin in the center of the block and stitch a small swirl that is about 3/4" across. Stitch back over the swirl (or right next to it, doubling up the width of the line) and make a second swirl. These swirl don't have lots of rotations, just one and a half or so. Stitch back over the second swirl and stitch away then make another swirl. Change up the size of the swirls and add little half swirls along the way too. My swirls vary in size from 1/4" up to 3/4". Try to keep a consistent amount of space in between the swirls too. If you get stuck and can not determine where to stitch next, remember that you can always knot off and start up again somewhere else.
I hope you enjoy this delightful little design,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

No comments: