Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, August 12, 2013


Art Almost Every Day, Yesterday's Piece, Sunday, August 11, 2013

Good Morning,
Here I am, a day late and a dollar short.... sometimes it's just the story of my life.
I taught a rather large class yesterday at the end of a very tough week and my  hands just hurt too much yesterday evening to even think about doing a piece.  Excuses, excuses!
So this morning I made two, and here is the first.  It began with light pink dyed Bamboo felt which I topped with some dark pink cotton, some wide strips of hand painted fabrics set vertically and some pieced yellow green and white strips set horizontally.
I quilted the background with a stipple in a matching thread color then top stitched around the painted strips and stitched up the middle of the hot pink swirls.  Then I switched to a blue thread and stitched around the perimeter of the yellow green/white pieced units and added short wavy lines along one edge of the yellow green segments.  Finally, I added the bold black swirl using a rather heavy black linen.  
I really like the interaction of the painted fabric with the striped fabric and the background color.  The complementary combination is just so joyous.  I thought that adding the black swirl would spice the whole thing up just enough to make it sing, but alas, the fabric I chose is just so thick and heavy that not only would it not twist up smoothly, it is also doing it's best to overwhelm the entirety of the piece.  Had I used a regular cotton for the black swirl I believe that it would be highlighting the swirls in the painted fabric rather than squashing them.
Now, on to today's entry.......
Heather

No comments: