Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Art Every Day, Tuesday, Sept 17, 2013

Good Morning,
Done before noon, two days in a row, woo hoo! 
This piece began with the bit of black/gray silk gauze which led me to select the strip of very frayed cotton jute, the strips of light gray silk and a large piece of hand dyed brown cotton and some brown dye painted batting.  I guess you could say that I'm in an all neutral mood.
I set the jute down and stitched along it's perimeter then stitched big swirls to the right of the jute and tight lines moving back and forth along the narrow left side.  Then I added the twisted gray swirls.  I knew that I was going to add the silk gauze on top of the jute, but I thought that I would twist it up like the light gray silk and add a big bead at the intersection of the top end of the gray swirls where they all meet.  But then, I wondered what the gauze might look like with a knot tied in it rather than twisting it and I loved the result. So, I placed the knot where I thought I would put a bead and sort of spread out the rest of the gauze and stitched it down along the long edges to finish it.
I love the movement  the piece has from both the quilting and the twisted swirls as well as all of the dimensionality derived by the fabric manipulations.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

No comments: