Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Block #87 in the Machine Quilting Challenge


Good Morning Again,

Since the last block was so similar to the previous block, I thought I'd throw in another one.

In the past two weeks, I've completed my first article for Quilting Arts and moved. My new space is twice as big as the previous one. It's funky and fabulous and I love it.

I hope to finally use my new machine this week and stitch out some more new designs. Hopefully this one will tide you over in the meantime.

The design features largish paisley shapes with swirls inside. Begin by stitching a paisley shape (teardrop) near the middle of the block. Mine are about two inches long and 1 1/2" at their widest. Once the paisley is complete, stitch a line up the middle that ends in a swirl then double back down and out of the paisley. Stitch another paisley as close as possible to the first one but positioned in a different direction then stitch a swirl in it's center. Continue making paisleys with swirls, changing up the position and size of each so that they all nestle into each other and leave little or no negative space.

Hope you enjoy doing this one. It's very pretty!

Till next time,
Heather

4 comments:

me said...

Good morning Heather and Happy Christmas season!
Glad to see you back- and surprised too, with everything else you have had to do...
I can't tell you how excited I am to be receiving a subscription to QA, knowing you are going to be in it every month!!!
We still have guests coming at New Year's so I won't get too much studio time for a bit.
Speaking of which, please post some photos of your new space when you have time, I can't wait to see it!
xo

Mary Tabar said...

Hi Heather, I hope to meet you at Road. Good luck in teaching.

Sharon ML Schutt said...

Yesterday I received the current issue of Quilting Arts in the mail. What a great issue! Loved your article and had to find you on the web. I'm planning on following your machine quilting challenge starting back at #1. Last night I practiced drawing out some of your designs while listening to the State of the Union Address. (But boy, do I need practice!)

Unknown said...

I saw the article "Free Motion Motifs" in the current issue of Quilting Arts magazine!! AWESOME!! I've been working with some Carol Wiebe style Cracked Paper quilts, trying to learn to free motion with my 40+ year old Singer Slant-O-Matic machine - a real challenge!! This article is a real "right place, right time" for me! I ESPECIALLY love the comments on stippling - You did a perfect job of giving me permission to be that geometric person that I am at heart! Thanks SO much!!