Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

May 13, 2008

(Left click pictures to see larger)

Good Afternoon Gang,
Is it really the middle of May - It feels like mid winter in the mid-west. It's Ugly, with a capital U out there. Here's a photo that Tom took of my old kitty, Quimby, sitting in the sun. Click on her to make the photo larger. Her tongue is sticking out about 1/2 an inch! Silly thing.


This quilt is my latest in a new series I'm calling "She". It's called "She Was Lucky". I'm exploring new ways to draw and paint on my work. The whole thing is made of Dupioni silk. The flowers are stenciled using my own stencil designs and Shiva paintstiks. The pale purple panel is machine quilted with my own musings on being a lucky woman and the background is heavily quilted with swirls and 1/8" - 1/4" wavy lines (click on it for a closer look). I'm very pleased with the work and getting over being bothered when folks comment that it is "pretty".
For a long time, I, like a lot of contemporary quilters I know, considered the word "pretty" as a description of our work to be a put down. I've spent so much time trying to keep up with the big girls and wanting my work to be taken seriously, not just as decoration, but as art and not wanting my work to be merely pretty, but wanting it to be meaningful, cutting edge, professional. Now, I think I've come to a new understanding of both my creativity and the word pretty. It makes me feel good to make something pretty, beautiful, feminine. I'm happy to find yet another voice.

How's your voice sounding these days?
Till next time,
Heather

No comments: