Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Art Every Day, Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Good Evening,

Today's piece is quick and simple.  I have a nasty stomach flu and I apologize to anyone and everyone that  I have come in contact with over the past several days. I spent most of last night praying to the porcelain gods and all of today aching and wishing for a quick death.  So, this piece is quite simple.  Layers of fabrics, simple quilting and for some reason the word "yes".  

I'm off to bed,
Till tomorrow, and lets hope it's a better one,
Heather

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get well soon! It's a nasty little bug even here in Washington

me said...

I cannot believe you are still making art while you are so sick! That's pretty impressive- but I also hope you know that no one would ever think less of you playing catch up AFTER you recover... just a thought. I surely hope you feel better soon!

It's also impressive that even being so sick, that your knowledge of color and design is so ingrained in your being that you can put together something sound and so pleasant to look at.

I like the look of the alternating layers of black and red violet. The lighter batting is a great frame for the black frayed edges to really shine. Such great texture!

The black really pops out the dark rectangle of red violet and the black stitching in that rectangle provides nice unity.

The red violet nicely holds up the stamped black and white fabric and I like the depth of the squares- I know they are NOT, but they look like they could be holes.

The offset square is so nicely balanced with the twisted strips that you placed in the bottom right corner- those strips draw the eye across and down and really bring everything together.

I know I would have thought to place the "yes" on top of one of the squares, I don't think it would have occurred to me to put it in the middle of four squares- though it looks great there and I'm sure much better than just covering one square.

This really reminds me to audition things in different places on a piece, instead of just attaching it where I think it should go. I need to remember that along with the "WHAT IF?"

Cathy R said...

I really hope that you feel better soon, Heather.

So I guess I can't use my measley cold as an excuse for not having my project done for Saturday?

I'd better get working, then.