Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, April 1, 2013

Art Every Day, April 1st, 2013

Good Evening,

Here is today's piece.  After helping my daughter move all day, working all weekend, dealing with a hubby with a nasty flu, I think the bug has bit me too - yuk, my tummy is all rumbly and my whole body hurts.  But, I got this baby done.

I started with a stamped, Thistle leaf design, layered it with black and put them both on white then on black batting.  I stitched around the Thistle rectangle and black rectangle with red then sectioned out the white background with red too.  Then I chose simple yet contrasting designs to stitch in each section.  I really like the simplicity of the color way mixed with the complexity of all of the different styles of line. The whisper of red is just enough to break up the black/white contrast.  It was fun, but now I think I'll go have a lie down.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

P.S. - Hey Anne B, each piece is 9" x 11".  They all have at least three layers, but usually more; the bottom layer is backing fabric next is a layer of either black or dye painted batting then a base surface is added and anything that is a design element goes on top of that.  Mostly I'm making them to learn commitment and the importance of practicing art making.  I'm also finding that they make for good teaching conversation here on the blog and in loads of other situations.  My hope is to show them in various different venues once I've completed all 365 of them (just another 274 to go) and to write a book about the whole experience.

1 comment:

me said...

I certainly hope you don't get to feeling any worse! Be kind to yourself and take good care.

What a great exercise in line! Having each section stitched differently adds a lot of visual texture and interest- yet supports the focal point so well.

It's gotten so that I look for the echo or repetition of elements, and even though none of the quilting mirrors the thistle, they all seem as though they could be a select piece of it.

The bit of red serves as a great tool to also draw the eye around, as it unites the background with the focal point.

The black rectangle is fun to look at. In one view, it seems to me to be cut out of the white and the thistle is floating on that portion of the batting.

In another view, when I focus on the frayed edges of the black, I can see that it sits on top of the white background, popping out that thistle for all it's worth.

This piece makes me want to go up to my studio and quilt right now!

Hope you and the hubby are feeling back to normal very soon :)