Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Art Every Day,  Sunday, March 31, 2013

Good Evening,

Well, I've made it just in time.  For those of you in some other time zone, I got this one in by 11:55 my time.  Just in time!

I could justifiably say that I was sitting around waiting for paint to dry. I was, really.  I painted these fabrics while teaching a Shiva Paintstik class this afternoon and needed the paint to dry for several hours before I could handle it.  I guess I could have used some other fabrics for today's work, but I was really diggin' on these flowers and couldn't wait to quilt them.  

I layered the red violet painted fabrics with layers of dark blue green batting and linen which I think are great counterpoints to the painted fabrics and I love the juxtaposition of the scale of the three big flowers with the scale of the texture in the other painted fabric. What I like the most about the whole thing is the subtle glow of the light pink paint inside the flowers.  

As for quilting, the red violet is all quilted lightly whereas the greens are quilted quite heavily.  All in all, I kinda like it.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I can attest to your justification, having seen you work on this yesterday :)

This piece really does have a glow about it, not only from the pink in the middle of the flowers, but from the light blue green paint in the vertical red violet strip. Is that just the lightness of the color, or did you use an iridescent paint stick?

The batting is such a rich color, with just enough variation in it to also make it glow a little. It looks like velvet in this photo.

The texture of the linen provides a nice mid ground to support the top rectangle of red violet, and there is wonderful visual texture in that rectangle.

I like how the circular stamping is echoed in the quilting there and in the middle of the flowers. Then how the stamped wiggly lines are echoed in the quilting on the linen.

I love how the flowers are physically almost background but their luminosity and scale pops them right out front.

This is lovely!