Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

 Art Every Day, Wednesday, March 13, 2013,

Good Morning,

Here is today's new piece.  One of the many things that I am enjoying on this daily art journey is using some of the fabrics that I've dyed or painted over the years.  So many of them are samples for classes/techniques that there really isn't enough of any one piece or style to make a larger quilt with, but now I can use them here on my daily projects.

For this piece, I began with some dull orange, dye painted batting and topped it with a swirl filled batik that I painted.  It is colored in mostly pure hues of orange and red orange.  Then I cut a square from another batik that I had painted on the same day, but I had dulled the colors by thinning them with more water.  I ripped a slightly larger piece of blue green hand dyed cotton voile which I knew would fray beautifully and set it directly behind the loopy flower batik square then I ripped a larger piece of white to go behind them.  

I had originally planned on setting the focal point square in the middle, a bit above center, but when I took all of the elements over to the ironing board and saw them offset, I liked them better, they had more energy and therefore more interest. Everything is quilted in white thread and in the white spaces of the batik. The colors and designs are working really well together, the duller center repeats the duller batting and the blue green direct complement is just what the focal point needed to do it's work.

Hope you have a great day,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

I can certainly understand the pleasure you are deriving from using all of these beautiful fabrics you have made; they have inspiration built right in!

There is just enough white in the background to balance out the bright orange. The batting and the focal point both do help to tone that dynamic piece of fabric a little.

Along with the color, the swirl in the middle of the flower provides unity, as do the white lines.

The offset placing of the flower gives the illusion of movement: it looks like it was just in motion- and stopped spinning where it is.

The blue green seems to shimmer behind the flower. The white square behind that really pops out the focal point and also quiets down the piece as a whole.

It's very interesting that something so bright and energetic doesn't feel overwhelming in the least.

Deb Berkebile said...

I love it! It flows well and is very inspiring and bright!