Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, March 29, 2013

Art Every Day, Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Here is today's new piece.  With it, I wanted to push the traditional ideas of how depth plays out through color and quilting.  I began with a cool blue green ground set on black batting.  I topped it with an offset piece of orange vintage linen which I topped with layers of green and violet.  The physically highest portion on the quilt is the orange 'rosette' that is sitting on top of the violet square.  It is also coming forward, but no more forward than the green horizontal stripe along the bottom right. 

I quilted the hell out of everything.  The space with the least quilting is the violet square, but it is stitched down along the edge and in the center when the fabric strip rosette was stitched down. I find it intriguing how both green shapes are quilted exactly the same, but the square is sitting behind the strip - this is probably because it is physically behind two other shapes whereas the green strip has nothing on top of it.  Clearly physical position trumps quilting and quilting trumps color when it comes to this piece. 

Well, I stayed up way too late last night so now I'm going to do something I never do, I'm going to take a nap!

Till tomorrow,
Heather 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just want to say how much I nenjoy your art. I am wondering how large your pieces tens to be, is there a bat filling, and what do you use the pieces for. Wall hangings,cushion covers,teaching pieces????

me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
me said...

This IS interesting and really made me look for a while, to see how everything is acting because of where you put it.

It is unexpected to see the orange rosette seem to float on the same plane as the green stripe because I would expect the orange to jump forward- not only because of it's color but because it has more layers underneath and lays on the very top.

I have seen you make colors "behave" often through your use of quilting. I have seen you make unexpected tricks of the eye happen with your use of color. And now I can see you can make things appear a certain way with the simple act of where you place it- though I am aware it's a process that requires some planning.

Besides the thought-provoking assembly, this has great texture and a lot of visual interest.

The slightly toned palette is bright without being overwhelming.

The varied stitching throughout really adds interest to each fabric piece.

The frayed edges always appeal to me, and the openwork pattern on the linen is great- I love to see the blue green peeking through there.

Both big and small, the piece has nice balance and the colors all carry themselves really well.