Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Art Every Day, Sunday, March 3, 2013

Good Morning,

Here is today's new piece.  It makes me think of celebrations.  I began the piece by laying a piece of black fabric down at an angle on top of the yellow, dye painted batting.  Then I added the stamped black and white piece on top at a different angle.  Then I cut bits of dyed rayon ribbon and inserted one end under the stamped piece.  

I stitched the stamped piece in yellow, which you can barely see then stitched the ribbons down with a mutli colored thread along the edges.  The black was stitched with straight edged swirls that fit inside each shape and the yellow batting is finished with a wavy line around the perimeter.   I added the three bone beads once all of the stitching was done. I think they look like candy.

I like how the black looks like it was reverse appliqued behind the yellow batting, the ribbons sit in the mid ground and the black and white print just pops off the surface.  It's just a fun little piece.

Hope you have a fabulous Sunday,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This really does look like a party!

All of the off-centered placements give the yellow batting an interesting frame shape, and even though it's bright, it does a good job of staying in the background, holding up the other partygoers!

I couldn't see the yellow stitching in the stamped piece until I looked at the photo more closely; it's the perfect touch to bring the yellow elsewhere into the piece. Another tip for my page :)

I am assuming that the black does look like it's behind the yellow because it just naturally recedes? It's a fun trick that our eye plays on us.

The ribbons are yummy, and the bone beads DO look like candies! I love that you used such a bright palette with a good amount each of black and white- and it doesn't feel like too much, it's just colorful and joyful.