Art Every Day, Saturday, March 16th, 2013
Here is today's new piece. Honestly, I spent more time trying to 'fix' it than I did making it. I began by layering yellow batting with a red silk noil which I then topped with two layers of solid white. My plan was to just do the raw edge cut work to reveal the red fabric and perhaps the yellow batting below the white fabrics. However, I made all three cut away areas too small and when I cut the white fabric away they were simply dwarfed by the expansive white background.
So, in an attempt to "fix" the issue, I added the stitched black lines, unfortunately, they weren't enough either, so I added the black stitched swirls. Alas, once it was all added I realized that the biggest issue was the scale of the stitched design in the negative space. I was in too much of a hurry to finish so I chose to stitch the negative space in a larger scale. Well, it threw everything off. It's at least twice as large as it should be and because it's so decorative in style, it matters, a lot.
Live and learn. This is definitely not one of my fav's. In fact, I think it looks a bit "liturgical". Yuk!
Better luck tomorrow,