Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, March 4, 2013

Art Every Day, Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Good Morning, Very Early Morning,

Here is today's new piece.  I made it on Sunday.  I used a piece of stitched Shibori Indigo that I made last year.  It is laid on top of a stark white which in turn is laid on top of a blue dye painted batting.  I used some of the excess indigo for the two strips along the bottom.

Though you can barely see it, I stitched the Shibori circle in the blue using a matching thread.  It is stitched in the negative space inside the circle as well as the blue negative space which allows the white to really pop of of the surface.  The white background is stitched with an 1/8th inch micro stipple to quiet it down and make it sit behind the blue which is not what white wants to do.  I choose two rather decorative stitch styles for the blue bars to bring them to the forefront as much as I could.  

I really like the chilly calm of this piece and it was nice to finally use some of my indigo, albeit a tiny piece!  Well, now I'm off to bed then an early rise and off I go to Baton Rouge.

Till tomorrow,
Heather  

1 comment:

me said...

This is an intriguing piece. What I see and what I know to be true aren't always the same.

The two blue bars at the bottom come forward very nicely with the fancy stitching in them. They look like they are sitting on the white background, which they physically are.

Then there is the Shibori circle. The square of fabric does sit on the white as well, as I can see when I enlarge the photo, but also gives the illusion that the white is cut out of the blue, showing the background.

This goes back and forth to me in its appearance. When I look at the beautiful radiating stitches surrounding the circle, I can see how that pushes the white of the circle forward. Those quilting lines draw my eye out and around the piece.

Yet I still see the possibility that the white could be the background behind the square of indigo fabric- even though I know that to be untrue.

The blue batting with the tiniest bits of pink peeping through here and there gives the piece an ethereal feel and seems to take a little of the chill off the inside.

I haven't much knowledge about indigo but I like what I see. It's very dimensional and has more range of color than I would have guessed it would. I hope you use it more in this series!

Have a fantastic time in Louisiana!