Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 28, 2013


Art Every Day, Wednesday, March 28, 2013

Good Evening,

Here is today's new piece.  It's an ode to Kandinsky, but not very well done I'm afraid.  We'll start with the fact that I put the bits and pieces too far apart and left too much negative space inside the composition which left me without enough around the edges.  But, I'm really diggin' the depth.  Look how that violet arc looks like it's floating above the green below it.  I don't know why it's doing that other than the fact that it is physically sitting on top of it, but why the floaty effect?

Anyway, I didn't really have anything to prove today other than that I could get the piece done, that and doing Kandiskyish composition ain't as easy as it looks.  Simple top stitching in black cause I was too damned tired to switch out thread color all night and tight stippling in the negative space do help to unify and push the whole mess of color and shape to the fore ground.

I'm tired tonight and I'm the new tenant at 43 11th St. in downtown Denver.  Soon, I will be opening the doors to Wild Heather Design Studio & Gallery. 

......and another chapter begins,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

Maybe design-wise, according to the rules, this piece requires more background, I don't know. But I like how the colors take center stage and I think some pieces just need and take more space. The black is strong and holds up these beautiful colors just fine in my eyes.

Having the frayed edges on the black and the dark batting behind gives more space and some interesting visual texture.

Looking at this small, this has wonderful balance- the red violet stands out as a dominant color and is nicely dispersed within the piece. The blues also show well, and draw my eye around.

Closer up, it is fascinating to see what the layers do. This really shows the power of the colors. Take the blue rectangle in the top left and the yellow rectangle (it looks slightly yellow green to me, but that might be my display): they are both stitched on as the bottom layer, but the yellow appears closer.

The two yellow circles seem to be closer to the viewer than the blue square in between them- even though I can see that they are all on the top.

This is a great dimensional piece; it really feels as though I can look into it and peel away layers- that they might all be on their own layer. I know they are not, but to my eye, there seems to be that possibility.

Stitching in black brings the background to the colors, and adds emphasis to each shape, which I like the look of.

A new studio is SO exciting! I already Googled it to see how to get there!