Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, March 1, 2013

Art Every Day, Friday, March 1, 2013

Wow! Two months and 60 pieces of art down and today's piece might have been the most fun so far.  
This piece began with a piece of white fabric thrown down on some black batting and curvy line stitching with a multicolored, bright hued thread.  After the stitching was done I added the solid black strip which I topped with the five squares that were stamped with black ink.  After I top stitched those down I added the circular bone beads.  

This piece was just so fun to do.  It's crisp, busy, but no nonsense. I really like the mixed messages that it puts out depth wise. At first glance the black and white squares on top of the black look like they are in front of everything, but look long enough and they start to meld back into the stripy white background.  Very cool.

Today is one of those days that I'm just so happy that I'm an artist.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

Judy Cooper Textile Artist said...

Heather, I can't believe you are making a piece of fabulous art everyday. It boggles my mind. I'm having difficulty getting myself in gear to do anything these days. You are so inspiring. I sure hope it rubs off on me - quickly :)
Great job!

me said...

This dedication of yours IS very impressive. I am glad you are finding joy in it, as you are certainly spreading the joy around to all of us!

On my computer, the white doesn't look white at all, or even dulled white (because of the black batting behind it), it comes out as a glowing light blue-green. It's quite stunning.

The colorful and busy background gives great support to the bold black rectangle and all it contains. The thread colors mirror the bone beads.

It does look as though the black had squares cut out of it to allow the stamped squares to show through- I had to look closely to see that they were actually stitched on top of the black.

Your placement of and choice of colors with the bone beads is just perfect. It creates a flowing line that echoes the stitch lines in the background.