Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Art Every Day, Tuesday March 6, 2013

Good Morning from Tyler Texas (where we stayed the night on our way to Baton Rouge)

Here is today's piece.  It was made on Saturday.  I used some more of my hand stamped fabrics, some dyed beads and cheesecloth.  The quilting on this one is very simple; black in the major lines of the background and top stitching along the edges of the orange and sold black front piece.  I really just wanted the fabrics to be the thing.  

The depth and movement is yummy.  I really like both of the stamped designs and how the small circles work against the wavy, cross hatch of the black and taupe.  I assembled the top stack of beads with glue and layering then twisted some cheesecloth into strands and stitched it with a zig zag stitch to hold it together then tied the round beads to it.  I really love how they lay against the bright black and hold their own against the busier fabrics.

Well, I'm back on the road,
Till tomorrow,
Heather 

2 comments:

Rona said...

Beautiful! I love your stamped design. I read your blog in google reader so I have to click over to your blog to comment. You have the same stamped fabric in your banner! Good choice,

me said...

For a piece that has so many interesting things, it doesn't feel too busy at all. You did a wonderful job with balance.

I love the woven look of the black & taupe fabric in the background, it looks dimensional all on its own. I like to know that in some fabrics, it's okay- or best- to just quilt in those major lines to let the fabric speak.

On my computer, all of the oranges look toned to me, and I think that is why it works so well with everything. Instead of sticking out and taking over, it carries itself as a focal piece but is still a part of the overall flow.

The black rectangle that is holding up the beads is very effective too. While supporting the beads and twisted cheesecloth (THAT is a wonderful way to use it too!), it also sits back a bit and makes the beads look a little like they are floating on the surface.

Is that piece of black textured on its own, or quilted with triangles and lines? Either way, it adds some very pleasing echoing of the background.

This combination of visual and tactile texture is a treat to look at.