Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, March 8, 2013

Art Every Day, Thursday, March 8, 2013

Here is today's new piece.  I made it last weekend.  This will have to be quick as I'm running a bit late for my class here in Baton Rouge.

With this work, I wanted to explore the spaces in between positive and negative space. I chose to work with really narrow black strips of varying length and width with a bright white background.  I tried to force the black forward in to the visually positive space by quilting the hell out of the white background with a minute stipple.  Then I tried to force the black into the midground by adding the stitched blue swirls.  

Unfortunately the blue swirls are struggling to get the attention they require against that bold ground of high contrasting black and white.  I believe a warmer color would have been a better choice for the swirls.  I like looking at the piece.  The contrasts hold my attention and the energy is very bold.

Well, off to work,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

3 comments:

Judy Cooper Textile Artist said...

At first glance, I thought of music! I like it.

me said...

I always look at your pieces smaller- on your blog and also as just a thumbnail on my desktop- and larger- I open them and stretch them a bit so I can see as much of the detail as possible.

When I see this one smaller, it is hard to discern which of the blue and black is mid ground and foreground, depending on how my eye focuses, it could go either way.

Seen closer to it's actual physical size though, I would say you accomplished what you set out to do.

The white sits nicely in the background with it's small stipple stitch. The black strips prop the blue swirls up, and make them appear as if they are floating on the top of the piece. I think you made that happen by quilting the white within the swirls as an echo, rather than continuing with the stipple.

A warmer color for the swirls might have made them stand out more, but it would have been a less soothing piece than it is now.

It seems very tranquil to me, even despite it's boldness.

Unknown said...

Heather, I have been enjoying your art pieces. May I ask how large they are and what do you do with the finished pieces, do you sell them, hang them, give them as gifts?
Ann B.