Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, March 22, 2013

Art Every Day, Friday, March 23, 2013

Good Evening,

Here is today's new piece.  I was feeling a bit low this evening and just wanted to quilt.  So, I grabbed a piece of hand stamped fabric, threw it on top of some white that was on top of some black batting and jumped in.  I love the bold, fierceness of the red lines and how they kick ass on the black triangles. The straight black line quilting in the triangle section just makes them look confused - which I'm feeling a bit right now so this is a piece that is based more on my current feelings than on any design or color tools.  But, I got my piece done and now, I'm going to pour myself a stiff drink and catch up on some correspondence.  

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I'm sorry you were feeling low- hope tomorrow is a better day :)

This piece has great texture- from the fringed edges of the triangle pieces, to the quilting in the red and black.

For a black, white, and red piece, it is not in-your-face, but muted and soft feeling.

The triangle pieces do convey some confusion, but because they are so nicely contained within the beautiful red stitching, one gets the feeling that the chaos is under control.

Using straight red quilting lines for the focal point and the border gives unity and punch, while using
the more jagged straight lines in the rectangles adds interest without losing the overall feel.

I really like how a few of the triangle points extend out past the quilting around the perimeter- like they are trying to defy being held in or back.