Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Art Every Day, Thursday, March 14, 2013

Good Evening,

Wow, what a day.  something new and different at every turn. Soon I will be telling you all about some really exciting news; well, exciting for me, I hope it excites you too.  Till then, here is today's new piece. 

Because I've got my fingers in so many pies, I often need to accomplish several goals with one piece.  I'm getting ready to shoot some more quilting videos next week and one of the topics I will be covering is reverse applique.  So, this piece features some.  I began with some dark green dye painted batting.  I topped it with a dark, tone of violet and topped that with this hand painted batik in rich orange and greens (a lovely triadic combination).  I stitched the batik in white inside the drawn, white lines.  Then, I stitched curlicues and flower buds in the negative orange space.  I then cut out the orange fabric from the flower buds to reveal the violet below.  

I like looking at it in person because I can see all of the stitching in the orange background, but I like it less in the photograph because that stitching is somewhat lost and the violet buds look a little out of place.  I now wish that I had stitched the background in a toned violet which would have linked the buds.  But of course, that may have fought with the leaves too.  Oh well, you win some, you loose some and tomorrow is another day....... to make more art!

Till then,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I am always surprised at how a piece can look so different in a photo as opposed to seeing it in person. Blog photos are so much smaller than even a 9x7... it can be hard to see detail. I am able to view these at almost their actual size, and I love it, it does help me a lot. I am still often surprised though, when I see the pieces hanging in your dye studio- some of them look very different to me than they did online.

The white stems provide a lot of movement in this and really brightens up the overall toned value of the piece.

The curlicues and flower buds are a nice mirror of the white and continue the movement in a more subtle way.

Seeing that the darker green leaves seem to be the same color as the batting, I was wondering if this method allows you to cut through both the orange and the violet? I don't know how to accurately cut through anything, so that's my "what if" question. lol

This is a very pleasing color combination and such a nice design for spring.