Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Art Every Day, Thursday, March 21, 2013

Good Evening,

Well another session of shooting video is over and I'm exhausted. 

Here is today's new piece and it was made as a response to both need and want.  It is raw edge, reverse applique which I made because I needed another sample of for my shoot today.  And, I wanted to work on my visual/spatial skills.  Because I don't like/want/enjoy marking my quilts for quilting and in addition to constantly working on my stitching skill set, I'm always trying to get better at design.  One of the design skills that I want to improve is how I fill space with a design, making sure that the designs that I choose fit the space well and work with each other. 

I'm quite pleased with the placement of the fish with the sea grasses and I like the scale of the fishes tail to his body and his fins to the tail.  I also like the quilting in the negative space.  I love the multi-warm-colored fish too.  It was the perfect fabric to place behind the blue/green water and show off that fishy.

Now, I've got three days of local teaching ahead. Apparently there is no rest for the wicked!

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

Good morning! I am sorry you are pooped, but very glad that you are making more videos- your videos are great and a wonderful resource to have.

I think the proportions in here are perfect too! The fish is nicely balanced out with the sea grass and negative space.

The background quilting is beautifully fluid and indeed makes it look like water. The color variations in both the yellow green and the reds and oranges give the illusion of movement as well, and add a lot of visual interest.

It doesn't appear that you left a border of the batting to show, which gives the piece a feel of endless water. Very calming!