Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Art Every Day, Sunday March 10, 2013

Good Morning,

The seminar is over and were headed out from Baton Rouge.  I have had such a great time and had the privilege of working/playing with some really amazing women and one great guy.  Now we hit the road again.

Here is today's new piece.  I made it last week before leaving on this trip.  I wanted to play with white-vs-black backgrounds.  Tomorrows piece is on black.  With this piece I used strips of color in a wide variety of colors with a narrow variety of color scale and placed them all against white fabric and black batting.  All of the quilting is done in white. The colors are holding their own against the energetic white, but there are places where it contrasts against the colors in a simultaneous way.  I stitched the negative space in an 1/8" stipple which helped to quiet it a bit and push the colored strips forward.  It's a happy, if not a little boring, piece.  It's simplicity works well on a small scale but it's not something that I would want to recreate larger.

Well, we're off in hopes of a smooth ride and not too much nasty weather.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This is an interesting study of the use of space.

With a white background, I think your choice to fill your positive space right from top to bottom was a great one. Even though there is a lot of color, the white really stands out, and might have felt overpowering if the bars were surrounded by the white.

There is great variety in color, nice but subtle changes in the width of the bars, and quilting the bars only around the edges allows them all show well. The ones that clearly show the quilting on all four edges seem to sit a little closer to us.

There is a a lot of quietly differing textures as well, which adds a lot of interest to the piece.

I like that the piece looks symmetrical but isn't exactly.