Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, March 15, 2013

Art Every Day, Friday, March 15, 2013
 
Good Morning,

Here is today's new piece.  It is made from two pieces of dye painted, hand stamped fabrics.  I think that if someone told me I could only work in one color way for the rest of my life I would have to choose neutrals. I wonder what kind of colorist that makes me.

The piece began with black batting which was then topped with the light brown swirl fabric.  Squares were then cut from the black fabric, the large one centering on the leaf and the small one centering on a circle.  I quilted the large square following the diagonal lines and outlining everything else.  I simply outlined the circle and the perimeter in the smaller square.  The background is quilted with sections of wavy lines that alternate between vertical and horizontal and the swirls were outlined at the same time.  

I really just wanted something to frame with twisted strips of fabric, so that's what I did around the larger square which highlights it at the same time.  I added a bit of a twisted fabric strip to the smaller square too, not to highlight it, but to balance the piece out.  I'm pleased with this rather simple composition because the fabrics are interesting enough to make me want to look at it.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

I am really starting to see how to achieve balance and harmony through this series. It's kind of astonishing me to notice that when I blow up the photo, that's what I start looking for- the ways that you have echoed or repeated something. I notice too, that sometimes an implication of something is enough- it doesn't have to be exactly the same.

The best example of that here is the twisted fabric that surrounds the large square and just trails off of the smaller one.

There are the wavy lines within the black square and throughout the background. Using both vertical and horizontal lines adds a lot of interest and movement.

Outlining each of the swirls makes them stand out and appear as though they are on a different layer, between the background and the focal points. They are also another mirror of the circles found on the squares.

This piece has so many things to look at: not just the interesting fabrics, but the way the piece is quilted and brought together. Lovely!

Steph said...

I love using a simple design to showcase a special or unique fabric. Framing the large square with the torn fabric strips is a great way to emphasize the large square focal point. Also adding the bit of torn strip is a great way to balance the design. Just a little something to tie the piece together.

I am quilting a friend's baby quilt and the quilting is exactly like yours in this piece (minus the swirls) only on a larger scale. So cool to see it show up here!

I have always loved how you use neutrals, so it comes as no surprise to me that you would chose neutrals if you could only chose a limited color pallet. We are all happy you don't have that limit since you use all the other colors so marvelously!