Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, March 11, 2013

Art Every Day, Monday, March 11, 2013

Good Morning from Amarillo TX, almost home,

Here is today's piece.  It is a counterpoint to yesterday's piece. I started with a black background set on top of a bright blue batting piece.  The bars of color are from the same selection as yesterday's piece but this time they are stitched down with black thread and the background is heavily stitched with a minute stipple to push it back.  The colors pop off of the black so much more than they did with the white and the piece is richer as a whole. The asymmetric placement of the colorful bars is more interesting and the edge where the color and the black meet makes for some dynamic movement. All in all, I find the piece more interesting than yesterday's work.

Well, we're trying to get home by mid afternoon so we can have a little rest and a clean-up before series class tonight at the studio,
till tomorrow,
Heather 

1 comment:

me said...

My first thought about this is that it looks like a cave, with the stalagmites and stalactites. The blue border and black background add to the cool feel of it.

The colors do indeed look more vibrant on black than they did on white. Each color stands out on it's own so much better and seems more clear.

I think the fabric textures show up a lot better too.

I really like how you used asymmetry; the visual weight is heaviest on the bottom, and the smaller, inverted sampling balances it out at the top.