Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Art Every Day, Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Good Morning,

First of all, to answer a few questions (from Ann B.), each of these pieces is 9" x 11".  Once all 365 pieces are completed, I will mount each one on black, painted stretchers bars that are slightly smaller and won't show from the front.  I am working on finding a few places to show them and I will probably write a book about the process.  Thank you to all of you who visit and even bigger thanks to those of you who leave comments.

Now, on to today's piece.  It's a little landscape made entirely from silk carrier rods- no fabric at all!  I simply adore playing with products/mediums in unexpected ways.  I was very pleased with the amount of texture that the rods provided.  The sheen is nice and they're easy to manipulate too.

I started the piece with dye painted batting which I topped with a layer of iron-on-adhesive.  Then I stripped out the layers from each of the rods making some really thin and leaving others thicker.  One of the nice things about these rods is that because they are hand dyed when you separate the layers you get a nice variety of values in the color which is great for a landscape.

The quilting was done in ways that imply nature; outline and crags in the white rocks, tall grasses in the yellow gold, waving grasses in the bright green, branches in the dark green, outlines and crags in the mountains and soft wavy lines in the sky.

What fun!
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

Oh my goodness, this is luscious! I am only just beginning to learn about and enjoy all of these silk products you have. They have the most beautiful luster to them that is displayed so elegantly in this piece.

I am drooling over the variations of color you have in this and the quilting just seems to give it more facets to shine from!

How clever to make a whole piece just using the carrier rods! The darker edges of the rods really provide some great lines, and both the edges and the different colors give great depth to this.

I am learning how to see what a piece needs for the quilting through this series. I don't expect to get it right often at first. But now your statement makes more sense: let the piece tell you what it needs.

I just have to keep on learning to LISTEN. This series helps a LOT, believe me :)

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the piece done on Monday the 18th. It seems to look like metalic fabric. It's almost shining and I love the piece you posted for today. I've watched you on the quilting DVD's using the embellishments (carrier rods) and think it's facinating stuff. This whole series of pieces has me thinking beyond traditional quilts. Thank yhou.