Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

 
Art Every Day, Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Here is today's new piece.  I tried several different things with this piece beginning with a lovely little palette of white on black batting layered with a mottled, neutral hand dye, some luscious avocado green and two more hand dyes that were also discharged and over-painted. I kept the quilting simple in everything but the negative space.  I highly quilted it in contrasting thread with the intent of it becoming more of a balancing focal point.  I think that experiment worked and it looks good in either of the orientations shown above. I really like the bit of twisted green fabric that crosses the darker brown strip.  It adds some dimensionality and funk.
 
I am moving my dye studio! My time in Golden is winding down, I need more space and so does the owner there.  I will continue to teach there for a while and they will carry some of my products, but I will be opening my own studio and gallery space somewhere in the Denver area.  I'll keep you informed and let you know when and where as soon as I can.

Also, for those of you who haven't heard, The Denver Art Museum is putting on a fiber based show this summer.  It will be called "Spun" and will run from mid May through Mid September.  I will be doing four weeks of open studio/artist in residence there and will take part in some of the other fabulous opportunities they are bringing our way.

Life is so exciting, ever changing, filled with growth and opportunity.
I can't wait to see what's next for me and my gang of fabulous friends, helpers, cohorts students and artists.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This does look good whichever way you turn it! My own eye seems to prefer the small, dark rectangle on the bottom, maybe because it looks the "heaviest".

This is a lovely palette and the white quilted border keeps it from feeling too moody, which it could have, with that dyed and discharged rectangle beneath the yellow green. That particular piece of fabric really has the ability to convey a lot of feeling! It's interesting that the smaller quilting pushes it back, but the white still pops forward- it's a very dimensional element here.

Using contrasting thread in the white not only tones down the brightness a little, it adds cohesion, echoing the luscious browns.

I like how the white in the background and the mottled piece bring out the white circles in the foreground. And I can't tell if you actually cut out the inside of the black circles or if you just quilted inside and out to make it look that way- either way it gives beautiful depth.

The twisted strip of yellow green in the dark brown rectangle adds great texture and interest and is a great balance element for the large yellow green rectangle.