Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

 
Art Every Day, Saturday, March 30, 2013

Good Evening,

Well, here is today's new piece.  I taught an embellishment class all day so I though I should just carry that through with today's work.  This piece of dye painted batting that I've used for the base was just too pretty to cover up too much of it so, I left a lot of it showing.  It is topped with a piece of dye painted Peltex which is topped with dye painted, laced (melted) Lutradur which in turn was topped with a piece of silk velvet, a silk carrier rod and a flower made from a silk cocoon.  There is some dyed cheesecloth tucked in under the first layer too.  

So, the piece is really just about color and texture.  I relied on the textures of each of the individual products to do the bulk of the work and kept the quilting rather simple.  I like the weird sense of depth with this little one.  The batting so wants to come forward and get all of the attention and the darkest area, which is physically in the middle of the layers is trying hard to recede but the bright, yellow green of the carrier rod keeps it in line.

I just love how color plays in the world.
Till tomorrow,
Heather


1 comment:

me said...

This is just full of luscious color and texture!

It has beautiful flow and draws the eye across and over with the direction of the cheesecloth, the carrier rod, and the bits of violet threads.

The dyed batting looks like water to me and adds both dimension and gentle movement.

It's very interesting to see how the bright carrier rod seems to be holding the velvet up when I view the piece at it's full size- yet when I look at it smaller, it feels much further away.

I love how the little bits of Lutradur are laced through that focal portion, they really echo the other bits of sparkle throughout the piece.

I bet this is even more delicious in person where the textures really shout out loud!