Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013


Art Every Day, Wednesday, April 3, 2013,

Good Evening,

I'm feeling better, not totally back, but better.  Thanks to those of you who wrote back with get well wishes.

Here is today's new piece, it took just 40 minutes to do and it makes me very happy.  I got to use one of my stamped designs, a deep joyous yellow and one of my most favorite to do quilting designs.  I love it when things look the way I think they should. 

Here we have this very linear flower with long, thin gently curving lines which I quilted in white in the white spaces.  Then we have the short tight curve of the "flourishes" stitched in the yellow background in a slightly duller version of the color so that it shows up just a bit more than I usually have stitches show in the background.  Though they are both line, the line type is very different so, they play off of each other very well.  The yellow, though very bold, can't hold up to the high, high contrast of the equal amounts of black and white in the flower so the flower is able to come forward and take center stage.  The strip of black and white along the bottom adds just a bit more interest there and helps to balance out that big ol' flower.

The charcoal gray batting that surrounds it all acts as negative space to the yellow which is really occupying the mid plane.  Leaving almost an inch of the batting all around the yellow is just enough to get it to act as a strong enough frame to hold up the yellow as the yellow is holding up the flower.  Each and every thing that is present here is doing an important job - no shirkers!

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I am SO glad you are starting to feel better! And I had to laugh at Cathy R's comment about not being able to use her cold as an excuse for not finishing her project. lol

This piece is really interesting- when I view it smaller, the yellow really brings out the bluish-violet in the gray and even a little in the black, which is very cool. Yet when I enlarge it to full-size, I don't see that at all. I am curious to see this one in person- close up and from further away to see what happens.

The gray batting with it's little flecks of gold in it is indeed a perfect frame and background for the bold yellow rectangle. The wavy quilting lines mirror the long wavy lines in the flower and help to draw the eye all the way around.

The yellow is just delicious, and provides great contrast for the linear flower. The quilting in the yellow gives a great change in scale from the long lines elsewhere. It also seems very natural to have these beautiful, swirly, tendril-like lines close to the flower, and they echo the middle of the flower so well.

The strip at the bottom nicely balances out the flower and both provide great visual texture. I enjoy how the strip is centered beneath the flower, yet the design is not the same on both sides of the middle "v"- it really draws my eye to the differing directions of the line in there.

I can certainly see why this makes you happy!