Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Machine Quilting Challenge - Block #56


Good Afternoon and Happy Monday,

I had a really nice weekend, hope you did too. Tom and I went on a day trip up through the mountains to Salida to celebrate our 3rd anniversary. It was hot, but lovely. It's so nice to get out of town - even if it's just for a day.

Here is today's new stitch-out. I really like the movement and energy of this design and it's pretty easy to do. It is grid based so you may want to draw at least horizontal lines. Feel free to draw vertical lines too to make squares. I drew horizontal lines that were 2" apart.

The design is similar to "Combs" or E's, which we did about 40 blocks ago. Only instead of straight lines and curves we have arcs and points. To make it more interesting I also changed the direction that the curves were facing too.

Begin at the bottom left hand corner and stitch up a gentle curve to the first marked line, form a point as you stitch back down with a second gentle curve that nestles about 1/4" away from the first. Continue making arcs until you have filled in about a 2" space. In the next two inch section make the same arcs but move them horizontally. In the next two inch sections make vertical arcs again, but curve them in the opposite direction as the arcs in the first section. Keep making two inch sections of curved arcs, alternating from vertical to horizontal and left facing, top facing, bottom facing and right facing curves. Do the same in the next rows, alternating directions as shown in my stitched block.

Hope you have fun with this one. Tomorrow it's on to more border designs,
Heather

No comments: