Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Painted Quilt


Good Morning,
Today, instead of adding a new design, I'm showing you a painted quilt that I just finished. Click on the photo to see it larger.
This started out as a piece of white fabric. I marked four circles, one for the flower center, one to contain the flower, one to contain the outer circular border of tiny circles and the outermost circle. I then divided the background space around the circle as well as the horizontal and vertical lines forming the bottom portion of the quilt. Everything was marked with a fine, graphite pencil.
Next, using free style quilting, I quilted the flower center using small, touching circles and black thread. Then I stitched the petals each with two smaller petals inside, again with black thread.
I switched to hot pink thread and put on my walking foot and stitched the circle around the flower center and the circle around the flower. I went around these several times to build up the stitch line. Next I added the petal border then the circles border around the flower, again with black thread and free motion quilting.
I then stitched all of the background area around the flower/circle using a wavy crosshatch in half of the sections and a swirls and arc design in the other sections. I then stitched the horizontal lines using my walking foot and the hot pink thread. I built up these lines by stitching over them twice.
I finished the quilting by adding the small flowers in the wide border and vines in the narrow border with tiny circles in the two tiny borders. Then I added the same designs in the lower portion that I had stitched in the background around the large flower.
I colored the whole thing in with markers using just five colors; red violet, lime green, blue green, yellow orange and metallic gold.
It was great fun!
I'll be teaching this technique at Great American Quilt Factory, August 20 & 27.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

No comments: