Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Block #68 in the Machine Quilting Challenge

Good Morning All,

Today's new stitch out is a half feather with stippling between. My feathers are about 4" long.
If it has been a while since you have stitched out a feather, you may want to doodle these for a while before taking your first stitches.

To make a half feather, begin near the center of your block and stitch a line that has a gentle curve in it, that is about 4" long and ends in a swirl. Stitch back out of the swirl and as soon as you have room to, begin stitching feather petals. These are shaped like half hearts. Stitch the petals all along the outer spine until you reach the tip. Now, stitch away from the feather to a space where you can stitch another one. Use stippling to travel with. Continue making half feathers, stippling from one to the next. Once you have stitched as many half feathers that you can , fill in the spaces in between with more stippling.

For greater contrast between the feather designs and the stippling, you could use one color of thread to stitch out each feather, knot off and travel to where you want the next feather. Then once all of the feathers are stitched, switch to a different color thread to stitch in the background.

Hope you enjoy today's new design,

I'll see you next week,
Heather

No comments: