Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Quilter's Home


Greetings Gang,
Sorry about being a day late. Yesterday just got away from me! I know I promised info on foiling on fabric today, but it's gonna have to wait till next week. Tom will have to take lots of photos for it and I'm trying to get this in before I start a class in an hour!
So instead I'm going to tell you all about the magazine shown here, Quilter's Home. A review if you will. The guy on the cover is it's originator and editor. His name is Mark Lipinski and he's an absolute hoot! Our own Liz Kettle writes for this magazine too.
The magazine is subtitled "For the new generation of quilters" and its no lie. Unlike most quilting magazines, this one is more of a "lifestyle" magazine, think "Oprah" or "Style". Though each issue contains a few quilt patterns, the bulk of the magazine is chatty, whimsical and at times down right silly. Don't get me wrong, all this is good - really good!
This months issue has articles titled "Miss Pronunciation" which teaches us the proper way to say things like Broderie perse (BROH-duh-ree purz) as well as Tulle (tool) and Voile (voyl). Another article is titled "Is it Time to Fire Your Guild), No matter how much you may like the girls, sometimes it's just time to move on". No truer words were ever spoken! Every issue of the magazine has some hilarious repartee from Mark along with some questions and answer sections. In one section, he's answering quilting questions in another section he's taking a poll from his readers with questions as varied as "Do you pre-wash?" and "Have you ever been issued a speeding ticket" Also included in this months issue are articles on awarding winning quilter, Hollis Chatelaine and Vintage Chinese lotus slippers.
In my time short/work long life, I rarely have the time to devote to thoroughly reading a magazine, usually I just scan, soaking up the good stuff and bypassing the rest. But Quilter's Home is a different story! I find myself reading the whole issue from cover to cover. I don't want to miss a page! I get to learn something new and often, giggle my ass off. Plus in this issue I got a few good recipes for fattening potato dishes and a yummy cocktail filled with rum, vodka and Midori! If you haven't read this magazine, grab one - it great for giggles and quilting information too.

Here is a link to Quilter's Home web site: Quilter's Home. And here is a link to Mark's Blog.

See you next week,
Heather

No comments: