Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, March 14, 2008

Ruth


Good Morning Gang,

Tom and I are off to Santa Fe for the weekend. He's got a Jazz concert to attend and I'm teaching three classes at Santa Fe Quilts.

I thought it would be a good time to introduce you all more thoroughly to our staff (all one of her) and some of our store teachers. So, today is Ruth's turn.

Ruth is Ruth Chandler. She was raised in Japan, where she lived from age three to 18. She has been making quilts for more than 15 years and has been making garments since she was 10! Being tall and thin in Japan, left her with few style options so she started making her own clothes. She is married to a great guy, Greg and has two kids, both married. Her son lives here in town and her daughter lives in Alaska. She has three grandkids, two girls and a newborn boy.

Ruth works in the store Monday, Wednesday and most Saturday's which gives Tom and I some very needed time off and free time back in the office to do all the gross but necessary stuff like bookwork. Ruth and I met nearly 13 years ago when she took a paper pieced Kimono class from me back when I was teaching and working at Crazy For Quilts in Old Colorado City. We became good friends several years later and I worked for her for a couple of years as a cook at a private school. We have been involved with a small art quilt group for 7 or 8 years now. Our friendship is all about encouraging and challenging each other in our art and our lives.

Ruth continues to teach some wonderful clothing classes for us and she's adding some great ones for kids and teens this sumer. She is also teaching a beginner quilt making class as well as some great Japanese inspired techniques and a quilt.
She has designed one of the patterns that we publish, "Japanese Knot", which is a big seller for us. She is a wonderful and generous teacher. I'm sure you would enjoy any of her classes.

Until next time,
Heather

No comments: