Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Name That Quilt Contest!

















Hello Gang,

Despite a nasty little storm, we had a great time at our Fabric Marbling Party this past Sunday. After a couple of product snafus we got underway and everyone managed to paint a dozen or more pieces of fabric. I'll have Tom take some photos of some of the finished pieces and show you all next week.

We've got what promises to be a great new group meeting at the store tomorrow morning. It's all about exploring fiber arts. There are more than 20 people signed up for the first meeting. They will decide the parameters of the group, all of the whats and whys. I'll let you know what goes down. We'll be starting a blog for both this group and our new Fiber Art Critique group that formed last month. More on both of these later.

The photo above is of the first 8 blocks for the new quilt I'm designing. In last Friday's entry, I showed the raw fabrics along with the written instructions I had done so far. The quilt will have 20 blocks in a 4 x 5 setting. So far, I'm really loving the quilt! I like the idea of doing something so simple and contemporary in Japanese inspired fabrics. The color palate is intriguing too. The pale violet is doing a lot of work, surprising me.

I'm going to try very hard to complete the quilt top within the next two weeks. Then the fun will begin! I'm going to see how many of you are out there reading my blog by proposing a little contest. A quilt naming contest. Here are the parameters;

  • After I've posted a finished photo of the quilt - pick a title for the pattern and post it in the comments section of the entry with the finished photo. Include your first name (no last names please) and your email address.
  • Names sell patterns. Make it quirky, rhythmic and memorable. No more than three words please.
  • The quilt uses easy cuts from just three widths of fabric, 1 1/2", 2" and 2 1/2" which create the five different small blocks that form the one large block.
  • Don't include information about the colors or fabrics used in the quilt top as lots of folks will use very different colors and fabrics in their version.
  • Two weeks after I post the photo of the finished quilt top, I will review all of the entries and choose a winner. The chosen title will be used in the published version of the pattern and the winner's name will be noted. The winner will receive a free copy of the pattern along with a $25.00 gift certificate from Wild Heather Quilts or wildheatherdesigns.com.
  • You may enter as often as you like.
So there you have it. Hope to hear from lots of you. Later this week I'm going to show you how to foil on fabric and introduce a great new book.


See you Friday,



Heather

No comments: