Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Block #38 in the Machine Quilting Challenge


Good Morning,
I hope today is the start to a great week for everyone.
It is my youngest daughter's 20th birthday today. I find it hard to believe that my children are both 'grown-up's'! Time does fly by and as I get older I feel like I need to pay more attention. Especially to things such as how I spend my time and who I spend it with. I want to learn to be more discerning (was kind of hoping that would come with age - but not so far) and yet more open. Birthdays, mine and others, always remind me of how precious time really is.
Well, enough with the Monday morning philosophy..... here is today's new stitch-out; Rambling Feathers. This is an all over or fill stitch. It can be used in wide borders, in setting squares or triangles or as an all over design on a quilt with simple piecing. If you've never used feathers as a fill you'll probably want to doodle this one out to get the feel for how the feathers nestle into each other.
You will use the same technique described in yesterdays block, #37 to make the feathers. They are linked together by small loop d'loops (click on the photo to see it larger). Each of my feathers is between 2 1/2" - 3 1/2" long and about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" wide. You can make yours as large or small as you like, just strive for consistency. This can mean that all of your feathers are about the same size or that you have lots of different sized feathers. What you probably don't want (because it looks like a mistake) is a bunch of feathers that are all close in size and one that is much larger or smaller.
Begin by stitching a curved feather near the center of your block. Once complete, loop d'loop your self away from the finished feather and stitch a second feather that curves in the opposite direction from the first. Keep stitching feathers, switching the direction of the curves so that they can nestle into each other and/or make a nook in which to position another feather.
I really love the artistry and dimension that this stitch-out can bring to a project. I hope you enjoy experimenting with it.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

Hey Heather- it's my eldest daughter's 21st birthday today! Where the heck does the time go, anyway???
LOVE this block, it's so pretty and looks so complicated! Oh, to the sketchbook. Wonder what it will be like to actually try all of these on a machine...
Thanks again for all of this, you are VERY inspiring! xo