Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, May 14, 2010

Block #44 in the Machine Quilting Challenge



Happy Friday,


My husband has Friday's off so today we have a great day of art exploration planned. First we're off to the Denver Art Museum for the afternoon then after doing the weekly shopping we'll head up to Golden to the Foothills Art Center for the opening reception of a new show called 'Stark; Works in Black & White'. I love spending a day completely immersed in ART!


Here is today's new stitch-out. It is a combination design that uses yesterdays 'Filigree' design in the background that surrounds large, funky Swirly Stars. I love the juxtaposition of the big, funky stars with the somewhat delicate filigree. Practice doodling out the stars before you begin stitching.

My stars are about 2 - 2 1/2" in width. Of course you can make yours any size you like, but remember that they need to be larger than the filigree for the stitching to look nice and tidy. Start stitching near the center of the block and begin with a swirl that is about 1/2" - 3/4"in size. Stitch back out of the swirl and make the arms of the star so that they are long and pointy. Strive for 6-7 arms per star. Once the first Swirly Star is complete stitch away from it using the filigree design until you have room to make another star. Keep making stars and surrounding them with filigree until you have covered the entire surface. It may be necessary to knot off and travel to empty areas between stars to add more filigree background fill. Try to keep the distance between the stars consistent as well as the density of the filigree background fill.

Hope you enjoy this funky stitch-out. I had great fun with it!
Till Monday,
Heather

No comments: