Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, October 1, 2010

Sometimes, we make duds......



Good Morning All,

A week or so ago I showed you the quilted piece above that I was working on for the cover of my up-coming book. I photographed it after the machine quilting was done (bottom photo) then I colored it in....and basically ruined it! Yes, even very experienced artists, who should know better, still make mistakes. But, we all learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.

I consider myself a colorist first and foremost. This quilt is not a good example of how to use color well. To begin with, the colors used to machine quilt it looked pretty good, lots of color blocking, with cools and warms spread about somewhat equally and lots of white remaining in the negative space which provided a place for the eye to rest.

It's the color blocking (bold color in one area, next to bold color in another) that got me in trouble. Though I repeated some of the colors, the color blocking broke up the unity in the piece. There is so much variety; each section has a different visual texture due to all of the different quilting designs. I should have realized that I needed to bring it all together with the color to provide unity.

So, I'm going to do it over again. I will quilt the whole thing in black so that I am free to add any color in any section as I go. The black will be a unifying element too. Then, when I color it, I will use 5-6 colors in each section instead of just two and I will repeat the colors more often too. This quilt will be going on the front of my color & design book - it can't just look good, it's got to look great - back to the beginning I go. I'll keep you posted on the new work and hopefully with this next attempt, I will be able to show what I know about both color and design in a way that will make everyone want to buy my book!

I'll give you a new border design to quilt tomorrow,

Till then,
Heather

No comments: