Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Hi All,
I really do love trying something new.  In fact, I love change, well, as long as it's change that I put into motion.  This piece brings together several new things for me.
The lighter portion in the middle is a piece of paper that I made.  It was done in a class with one of the instructors at my gallery/studio, Deb Determan.  The paper is made from recycled copy paper.  While it is wet on the screen various resists were laid down and color sprayed on.  Once it was dry and taken off the screen, I put Misty Fuse on the backside of it and ironed it to a piece of fine whale corduroy that I had dyed.  Then I inserted the large metal circles and quilted everything down using free motion on my machine.  I used a mix of circles and straightish lines for the quilting in the negative space and simply followed lines that were present in the paper when stitching on it.  Once all of the quilting was done I finished the edges with a satin stitch and matching rattail then I hand stitched down the medium and small sized metal circles.
I'm pleased with the piece.  I really like the way the paper looks as thought it is breaking apart, but mostly I like the way that the paper, fabric, metal and hand stitches are interacting with each other.
Till next time,
Heather

No comments: