Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Hand Dyed Fabrics Hanging in the Gallery

 Hi All,
Here is the fabric that I've been working on for the last week, hanging in the gallery.  These fabrics were all done with thickened Procion MX dyes.  With the first, middle and last on light weight canvas and the remaining two on beautiful linen.  Dyeing fabric is almost always a crap shoot.  I did the two linen pieces first, both with the same mixed dyes.  With the canvas pieces, I made the red (Pomegranate) more intense by adding more dye, but I over saturated it so it ran when I washed it, even with Synthrapol.  So, I had lots of pale pink smudges all over the white background areas.  To remedy that, I over dyed them with a very pale gold.  Which yielded a very rich end result.  I'm rather pleased with them.

These pieces are hanging on the other wall in the gallery.  The two end pieces are 16mm Habotai silk and the center two pieces are Indian Dupioni silk.  All of them were dyed with Jacquard Green label silk dyes.  All were dyed with the fabrics laid flat on the ground.  The piece on the far left was done using squirt bottles and sea salt.  So was the second piece.  The longer warm colored piece was done using spray bottles with no salt and the final piece, that you can barely see was done with squirt bottles and more salt.
I simply love throwing color on things!
Till next time,
Heather

No comments: