Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Block #19 in the Machine Quilting Challenge


Good Monday Everyone,

Hope you all had a great weekend. Tom and I spent Saturday at the hot springs in Glenwood Springs. It was wonderful, a great day off!

Here is today's new stitch-out, I call it Asian Swirls. It is very elegant and has wonderful movement. The trick to making it look so interesting is to change the direction of the grouped curves or arches as often as possible.

Remember to doodle the design before you begin stitching.

Begin in a corner or along a side edge by making a small half circle that is about 3/4" long and 1/2" tall. Stitch over at a 45 degree angle, about 1/4" then make a second half circle that is about 1/4" above the first one, moving in the opposite direction that you did with the first arch. Stitch over about 1/4" again and make another half circle 1/4" above the last one and moving in the opposite direction of the previous half circle. You can stop here or add one more arch.

To make the next set of arches, make a small half circle along one side of the previous set of arches. Position it so that it's curve is moving in a different direction from the curves in the previous set. Add 2-3 more arches over the new arch you just made. When you go to stitch the next set of arches, change the direction again. This change of direction can be slight or great. Study the stitch-out above to see how one set of arches nestles into the previously stitched ones. You will have to double over small sections of stitching as you add each new arch so try to stay on the stitched lines as you double over.

Remember, practice will make you so much better!
Enjoy,

Heather

1 comment:

me said...

LOVE all of these stitching patterns, Heather! You rock! Of course I can only do them on paper for the time being, but that is okay, it's practice...
I love your blog and I love that you are in such a cool place right now, able to create and be free!
I must take some time to come and see your new studio- it's been a real trial of a few months and I am finally feeling more human now... lol
Can't wait to see your new works of art- I know you take good photographs, but art is always better in person! xo