Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, April 19, 2010

Block #29 in the Machine Quilting Challenge


Good Monday Morning,
Here is the new stitch-out for the day. I call it Rolling Waves. It is a great design to use singly in a narrow border or with three or more rows in a wider border.
Remember to doodle out the design befor you begin stitching it.
This design features a repeat of one motif that basically has three sections. When I stitch more than one row of it, I have each row reverse directions which adds more movement and therefore more interest.
Look at the block here and zone in on the motif that is at the far left in the third row up. The design begins with a large swirl then just to the right hand side of it is a smaller swirl which is topped by an arch that nestles right on top of it which is in turn nestled by a second, larger arch. Then the whole thing is repeated again. In the row above, the design is stitched in the opposite direction. Doodle it until it feels seemless and smooth.
It may be easier for you if you mark rows on your block with a Hera marker. Begin stitching in the bottom left hand corner. Stich a swirl that is about 1/4" shorter than the marked row, stitch in then swirl back out on the outside of the original swirl. When you reach the bottom, stitch over to the right and form the second, smaller swirl, swirl back out on the outside and stitch a half circle up over the top of the small swirl and stitch back down again. Finsh the motif by stitching back up again forming a second arch and back down again. Stitch over to the right and form a second large swirl. Continue stitching the complete three part motif (I could fit four across in my 10" square) until you have finished the first row. Now stitch up to the base of the second row and stitch a large swirl that rotates in the opposite direction of the swirls in the first row, follow it with the small swirl with the two arches above it. Continue until you have finished the second row. The third row should be stitched in the original direction. Continue stitching rows, in opposite directions until you have completed the entire block.
Working with a stitch-out like this one will help you learn more about spacing out designs as you stitch. It always helps in the beginning to mark registration lines. On rare occasions, I still use the Hera marker to draw registration lines, especially when I'm stitching a wholecloth quilt that will then be painted.
Enjoy, till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

mad elena said...

Great wave action.
The stitching looks embossed - like it raised the fabric rather than sinks in.
Did you do something special is the photo deceptive?

Anonymous said...

Hi Elena,
Thanks so much for following my blog. I'm glad you're enjoying the process. I'm a California girl too - the Central Valley, Gateway to Yosemite.
As for the block, it's just the photo. I asked my hubby, the photographer, but he couldn't figure out why it looks like it does. When I see the block in person it looks normal.
Who Knows!
Heather