Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Block #26 in the Machine Quilting Challenge


Good Morning Gang,
I'm getting ready to head up to Estes Park to speak to the quilt guild there. I'm looking forward to getting up in the mountains for the day.
Here is today's stitch-out; Petal Power. This design can be stitched in lots of different sizes from tiny to extra large. Here, I made somewhat small flowers, about 1" in diameter. I linked my flowers with tiny loop d'loops but you can also link them with small, pointy leaves. My flowers have five petals each. You can use six or seven petal flowers too, just keep them all the same. Doodle the design out in several different sizes until you find one that you like the look and feel of.
To make the flowers, start with the center and make a circle. Once you have completed the circle, begin making the petals which are 3/4 circles. I find it easiest to stitch the petals moving in the opposite direction from the center. Once you have completed a flower, stitch away from it with curvy lines and loop d'loops until you have room to make another flower. Continue making flowers and loops, filling up the space and keeping the design elements close together , leaving no large spaces unfilled.
This is a great stitch-out for girly quilts as well as spring and summer designs. It's very versatile as a filler and can be stitched in rows for borders.
Hope you have a great day,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

No comments: