Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, April 23, 2010

Block #32 in the Machine Quilting Challenge


Happy Friday Everyone,
We've had a lovely Spring day filled with rain and some big, wet snow flakes. I can just feel the grass growing and the flowers beginning to bud. I love Spring and it looks like we're going to get a real one here in Denver this year.
Here is today's new stitch-out. I call it Bark, but it looks like what some stitchers call Animal Print. and what others call Flames. What ever you want to call it, it's a great filler. It's got lots of movement and creates great energy. It's nice on landscape quilts, animal quilts and quilts for guys.
It can be a little difficult to find the rhythm in the design, but once you've doodled it out for a while you'll find it easy to stitch. It is merely a series of vertical lines that are wavy and irregular and change position with small angular juts to help you move up and down as you work your way across the surface.
To begin, stitch a long irregular line up from the middle that is about 3-4 inches. Next, stitch a 'V' and move down about 2-3 inches then make a second 'V' and move back up again. Keep making long stitch lines up and down, adding 'V's and changing direction until you have filled up the entire space. Try to have lines of various lengths, some as long as 4" and some as short as an inch.
H ope you enjoy today's stitch-out. Remember if you click on the block you can see it larger and with more definition,
See you tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for leaving a comment on block #27. I like that one too. I hope you keep coming back.
Heather