Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Machine Quilting Challenge - Block #21

Good Morn ing,

We're enjoying a lovely, spring snow storm this morning here in Denver. It's cold and wet, a perfect day to spend indoors. But I'm on my way out to an Exploratory Fiber Arts meeting; a chance to hang with a bunch of gals who all like to play with fabric and paint and other goodies.

Here is today's stitch-out. I call it Swirly Flowers. It is very similar to yesterdays Swirls with a few changes.

Doodle it out with paper and pencil before you stitch so that you can get used to the spacing of the design. Like yesterday's stitch-out it uses swirls in various sizes.

Begin by making a swirl about the size of a 1/2 dollar, swirl in then swirl out. As soon as you are out of the swirl, begin making small petals along the oustide of the swirl. As you complete the last petal, swing away from the swirly flower and make a second swirl leaving yourself enough room between the new swirl and old swirly flower to add the peatals to the outside edge of the new swirl.

Continue on in this manner, adding new swirly flowers in various sizes and with the swirls moving in different directions. Shoot for equal distance between each swirly flower for a more consistent fill.

For a different look, add small, pointy spikes instead of petals to make swirly suns.

Enjoy and have a great day,
Heather

No comments: