Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Playing with Indigo Dye


I spent a few days last month playing with Indigo dye. It had been a long time since I had done dying of any sort and I had a great time. The first day I did it with my friends Chris and Ruth then I did tons more on my own.
We used a new Pre-Reduced Indigo that is put out by Jacquard. It's very easy to use and the dye bath can be used for several weeks.
The kit is very inexpensive and dyes a lot of fabric. I ended up with more than 30 extra large fat quarters (about 20" x 30") as well as some 1/2 yard pieces and yardage. I died 100% cotton broadcloth, cotton artists canvas and cotton gauze. These two pieces are some of my favorites. The first one was block resisted in a square form and soaked in the bath for about 20 minutes then refolded in a triangular form and re-soaked for another 20 minutes. The second piece was pole wrapped, Shibori style on a 2" wide piece of PVC pipe and soaked in the bath for about 15 minutes.
I will be playing with more Indigo dying then will over paint a lot of the pieces using a deep, blood red and a dusky, dirty yellow and hope to make working with these fabrics my next series. I will be teaching these techniques this next quarter. Summer is the perfect time to build up a stash of painted and dyed fabrics!
Don't you just love exploring textiles!
Till next time,
Heather

No comments: