Art Every Day, Oct 14, 2013
Here is today's new piece. It is made from a fabric that I discharged while on retreat last week. I added a couple of narrow strips of black linen as well as some black batting to the discharged piece and chose a very, very simple layout so as to really show of the flower and the fancy grid printed in the fabric.
I quilted everything with matching red violet thread beginning with the black strip on the left which is stitched with an 1/8" grid. Then I outlined the flower and added some stitching inside it following the lines in the petals. The background is a mix of stippling and outlining and inlining the grid design. I then couched on a narrow black strip for the flower center.
When all of the stitching was complete I added a bunch of iron on crystals to the black strip and the flower center to give them both a punch of interest. The piece has a subtle beauty along with some funk. I like that.