Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Art For Yesterday, Friday, Oct 4, 2013,
Good Evening,
Here is yesterday's piece. I had such a hectic day that I didn't get it loaded before I finally collapsed into bed at around midnight.  We had 1st Friday last night at the studio plus I'm hustling to get ready to leave for my retreat in Taos on Monday. Anyway......
This one began with some fabrics that I had layered together for some other reason, who knows, and I thought it was about time to use them. It's a rather busy, complex piece and their are areas where the layers of fabric are six deep! I like the violet/orange/green triadic color way and I really like all of the different visual and tactile textures.  The base is dye painted batting.  It's topped with a jacquard cotton with is topped with a light weight painted canvas which is topped with some yellow green canvas and some crinkled up yellow green paper with violet cheesecloth adhered to it.  There are strips of orange velvet in one of the top most layers along with some short strips of yellow green tucked under the ends of the velvet to give it greater contrast with the base fabric.  The three swirls are made from ripped strips of the base fabric.
The quilting is pretty straight forward, curvy lines in the cheese cloth area, just enough to hold it down, straight diagonal lines in the plain yellow green, top stitching in the strips, a large stipple in the violet and a wavy crosshatch in the orange.
Though there are things I like about the piece, it's a bit over the top for my taste.
Another one is coming right up,
Till then,
Heather

P.S.  Thank you Darcy for the comment from the other day.  I've been feeling a bit lonely here again.

No comments: