Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Art For Another Day, Sept 21, 2013,
Good Evening Again,
Here is another 'make-up' piece for last week when I was sick.  It was made from one of the uglier hand painted pieces that I made while demonstrating at the museum a few weekends ago.  The multicolored print included a clear green on white with stripes of dark red violet and bits of a dark violet gray.  Not a great color combo, but done at the end of the day with exhausted dyes. 
I laid the print down on some green dye painted batting and chose some dark black/gray silk gauze and some deep red violet cotton to add to the game.
I scrunched up the gauze and off set it to one side and twisted up strips of the red violet to mimic the stripes in the print.  There is very little quilting, just enough to hold stuff down.  I added the large green, bone "bead" at the last minute in an attempt to join the two disparate sides together. My studio pal, I.V. doesn't like this one - which she very seldom claims - but I like it's weirdness.  It's very different, but it's well balances, has good visual and tactile texture and nice interest.  It's just not a color way that we're used to seeing.  Imagine it in violets, blues and greens and it "feels" more normal.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

No comments: