Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, January 4, 2013

Art Every Day, 1/4/13,

Here is today's new piece.  It really doesn't seem to matter which direction it hangs - it looks good any way. Good balance I guess. I'm finding that one of the best things about this art every day process is that because the piece are quite small I get to try out new techniques to see if I like them before jumping into a larger project.
This piece features a very simple process of layering two layers of fabrics on top of a piece of dye painted batting with a backing fabric behind it.  Then I quilted the flowers and leaves in an orange thread and filled the negative space with a filigree design in a green thread. Once all of the quilting was done I then cut away the top layer of fabric just inside the stitch lines of the flowers to reveal the fabric beneath.  I cut away the second layer of fabric in the center of each of the flowers to reveal the violet dyed batting. The smaller photo above shows what it looked like with just two of the flowers cut away. When I was done with all of the cutting I zig zagged some rattail just inside the outer edge of the piece to finish it up.
What fun!  Now, I want to dye some fabric with concentric circles of color to layer under another fabric and stitch a mandala.  Love, love, love this technique.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This IS a great technique! I haven't mastered the layering thing yet, but it's definitely something I want to work on.

This color scheme is so pretty and restful to the eye. The quilting suits the composition so well, and the balance of the piece is pleasing.

It makes me want to run upstairs right now and get working!