Art Every Day, Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Here is today's new piece. I have to admit it took about 1 1/2 hours - all that precise cutting out! My goal here was to add a little musical chaos to the very graphic/geometric design field. The addition of the swoosh of yellow cheesecloth along with the three narrow wedges that look as though they are drifting across the piece are doing just what I wanted them to do. I had to quilt the hell out of the bright white to get it to stay in the background and all I did with the black bits was to quilt them down just inside their edges in hopes that they would stay in positive space in the mid ground which I think they are managing to do.
Because the white base fabric is sitting on top of black batting there is some dulling of it therefore keeping down the feeling of simultaneous contrast that could have overwhelmed the small piece.
It's so nice when things work out the way you had planned.
Which, brings me to the piece above from a few days ago. I originally showed it oriented like it is in the photo on the left. But when I went to hang it in my dye studio with all of the others, I realized the the balance was a lot more pleasing when I hung it upside down like it is in the photo on the right. I like the new orientation so much better.
Well, it's off to work I go,
P.S. Thanks for your comments Steph. I understand how helpful it is to have real visuals to "prove" the processes of attaining depth in quilting. I'm so happy to share.