Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Daily Art, 1/5/13,

Here is today's daily art installation.  With this piece I really wanted to experience how the stitch line can  relate to the fabric that it is stitched on.  I simply laid the colored pieces on top of dye painted batting, using segments that are squares and rectangles with no lines added.  I placed them all so that they surrounded and were on top of the black square to help it recede.  The black square was quilted with a bold sun motif in pale yellow and the rest was stitched with "straight" lines (all free motion) that echo the black square.  Those straight lines really unified all of the warm colored squares and rectangles making them work together more as a team than as individual pieces, an affect I was striving for.  Had I quilted each colored section individually with it's own stitch design, each section would have wanted to play on it's own and unification would not have been achieved.
Unlike yesterday's piece that took just 30 minutes to quilt, but 1 hour to cut away, this piece took just 45 minutes from beginning to end and, I really like it. Now, I'm off to the dye studio to dye some pieces for more cut work.
Happy creating,
Heather 

1 comment:

me said...

Thank you for the description of how this works- I can SEE that it works, but wasn't sure why.

I am starting to understand how the quilting makes such a difference to a piece of work. When I imagined what it would be like with each of the squares/rectangles quilted separately instead of mirroring the black square, I know you are right, that it would be too busy and it would be hard to know where to look.

This is very pleasing to the eye! I am partial to sun colors anyway, but the black adds such a great punch.